Good news for developers of mobile applications for the Android platform.In the cloud platform. Windows Azure Mobile Services added tool support for Android to the existing support for Windows 8, Windows Phone and iOS.The released Android SDK is distributed open source and Available on GitHub along with all the other SDKs.
Android app developers can now take advantage of Windows Azure Mobile Services to get support for the following features for free (up to 10 mobile apps) and without investing in their own infrastructure :
- access to a relational repository with a dynamic data schema;
- integrated authentication system based on Microsoft Account, Facebook, Google and Twitter;
- push notifications for your Android apps (and all other platforms simultaneously);
- Send SMS and mail messages from the cloud via SendGrid and Twilio services;
- Cloud scaling from free to high load.
Using Windows Azure Mobile Services today, you can have a single cloud backend to support all popular mobile platforms without investing in infrastructure for the fastest possible startup and subsequent scaling.
New content has been added for mobile app developers about developing Android apps along with the cloud backend. You can find it in the developer center at Mobile Services dev center Start learning about development by This article for Android developers
In the next issue Windows Azure Training Kit will include training materials on the new features. But you can already get them today at the following links :
- Getting Started with Windows Azure Mobile Services and Android
- Building Android Apps with Windows Azure Mobile Services
A video has been published on Channel9 to introduce the new features Android Support in Windows Azure Mobile Services
Examples of Android apps
You can find more information about the Windows Azure platform in Russian at the following resources :
- AzureHub.ru – Database of technical materials, articles about Windows Azure in Russian;
- Video materials, webinars, conference notes about Windows Azure at TechDays.ru ;
- Windows Azure Facebook Community
- Microsoft’s expert email channel firstname.lastname@example.org
- Windows Azure Forum
I particularly draw your attention to published content Windows Azure Summit 2013 conference, which took place on February 20 in Moscow.