Here is another digest with links to news, interesting materials and useful resources.
Since the beginning of the year, Adobe has been feeding everyone with tasty videos showing innovations in its popular tools, including Photoshop, Illustrator, Premier, and After Effects in the first place.According to analysts, this time the new version of Photoshop got a really weighty set of improvements.And now, on May 7th, the most anticipated programs for designers were released in another "creative" package – CS6!
"Attention, you’re live!" – is now a phrase any Google+ user can say to a person sitting in front of a connected webcam.The new opportunity to create your own video broadcast for a wider audience is complemented by the functionality to track the number of viewers in real time, as well as record the broadcast for later saving and exporting the video to YouTube
Reports with UA Web Challenge 2012 and ConferencesFront Trends 2012
Just recently in the world of web development were two events: a conference in Poland, which was attended by web-makers such as Alex Russel, Chris Coyier, Lea Verou and many others, as well as the Kiev final of the UA Web Challenge web-developers championship.
Dive into the history of CIS domain zones, learn about how they work, the challenges they face, the technology they use, their development prospects, and more.
With the growing number of mobile devices that support HTML5, the task of playing video on them arises.When solving this task, we should not forget about numerous nuances, among which, for example, different support of video formats by different devices.
Connecting audio to a web page can seem like a non-trivial task when it comes to full cross-browser connectivity.The flash player with a set of audio files has been replaced by native players with an even larger set of audio files in various formats.
Bookmark it now: all the modern browser technologies with the necessary links are now collected in one guide page.
- fontello is a service that allows you to create your own web font consisting of vector icons
- css2less – service for the fast conversion of css-styles to less-code
- The Web platform: a complete list of current browser technologies with links to official documentation
- Features of updated Google Docs (450 new fonts and several dozen templates, …) and a clause in the agreement saying that when you upload files to Google Drive, Google gets full rights to them
- HTML5 Audio – The current state of the audio tag in html5 and its support by modern browsers.
- ffffallback.com – a snippet to check for fail-safe web fonts on your site
- Responsive HTML5/CSS3 template – A great static framework for creating websites with adaptive design
- Responsive Grid System – Another framework for sites with adaptive design, but this time with grid support.
- Best of Tuts+ in April 2012 – a selection of the best articles and tutorials of the month from the Tuts+ web sites
- Making HTML5 Video Play on Mobile Devices
- How to increase download speed @fontface
- Introduction to RESS technology (Responsive Design + Server Side Components)
- HTML/CSS Code Design Guide by Google (Russian translation)
- Suggestions for mediaqueries in a future CSS4 standard
- How to make a slideshow that runs when you hover over an element in pure CSS3
- A 1-hour walkthrough of CSS gradients At the end of the article, as a bonus, the author’s funny artwork drawn with gradients!
- How to design breadcrumbs in CSS3 and without any pictures
- A CSS3-drawn and animated sprite. An example showing the power and in some cases impracticality of web technologies
- jQuery NailThumb – Automatically customize and create preview images to your images.
- jQuery Vector Maps – Generate interactive vector map of the world
- Presenteer.js – A library for creating a modern html5 presentation that has a lot of customization despite its simplicity.
- jQuery Canimate Plugin – Create a simple sprite animation with jQuery.
- Physijs – A js library for building physical objects and scenes.
- A selection of plugins for automatic code compression
- Ascensor is a jQuery plugin for creating non-standard navigation in single-page sites, suitable for use in portfolio and promotional sites
- Fixie.js – information "fish" filler for empty HTML tags
- jQuery Countdown is a beta version of a timer that uses sprite animation and is therefore suitable for implementing non-standard animation effects
- How to write a jQuery plugin correctly or 14 reasons why your plugin is not popular
- Ajax Side Panel – creating pop up panels with dynamic content loaded by ajax
- Asymco: Apple and Samsung turned out to have 99% of mobile market profits
- Google SEO Guide 2012: an overview of the innovations that have affected the search engine algorithm, as well as their implications.
- Windows Mobile Marketplace is closing
- A potential competitor to the search giants looms: EBay and Wal-Mart are developing a new search engine
- Average Internet access speeds globally dropped to 2.3 Mbps
- UA Web Challenge 2012 Report
- Front Trends 2012 Conference Report
- Twitter unveiled a new interface for the mobile version of the service
- Google Play users will be able to share a playlist via Google+ using the ‘Shared with me’ button (only available in the U.S.for now)
- Windows 8 won’t play DVD videos due to unpopular discs – is quite a logical decision.Now users just have to figure out what to do with the stash of once-popular video discs
- Engadget journalist interviewed the Mozilla Foundation CIO
- Once again, about Mozilla Firefox versions and their updates. This time in the form of graphic posters.
- Mozilla worried – Windows RT won’t allow to choose browser
Sites with interesting design and functionality
- weareimpero.com – site with unusual transitions between pages
- meomi.com – a site with an interesting design
- pitch.csspiffle.com – a one-page site with a nice parallax effect
- orangesprocket.com – a site with dynamic elements and a creative approach to navigation
- victoriabeckham.landrover.com – landrover promo site with trending effects
- clairetnet.com is just a beautiful flash site
- ok-studios.de – another quality site with parallax
- kaleidoscope.ro – site with animated construction of your own template
- launchfactory.org – thematic site with interesting graphics and dynamic elements
- milkable.me is a fun dairy site
- jagex.com – an unconventional approach to standard site elements
- Interesting sites of domestic performers and music bands
- redpepperland.com – interesting rotator on the home page and responsive slide navigation with very appropriately placed preloaders in the controls on the inner pages
- hardudetideg.no/test/en.html is a test for teachers on various subjects.Using canvas and the original scoring approach opens up new horizons for interactive problem makers!
- ala.ch is a bit of a kitschy site, which actively used the browser window scrolling to create a variety of animation effects
- community.saucony.com/kinvara3/ – Looks like after a successful launch from Nike the rest of the companies realized that sneakers with a website stuffed with parallax effects sell much better!
- globaltv.com/bombgirls/index.html – the filmmakers decided to pay attention to site-building trends and made a pretty good guide advertising their product! Here’s how to make websites for popular shows!
- vesmirnyprogram.sk – seems ideally suited for aerospace sites which use vertical scrolling to synchronize animation effects, its design and functionality demonstrates the principle of the advertised product
- Arrrows – a font with a large set of vector pointers for your website
- A call for more user-friendly registration forms
- Half a hundred technological logos
- A quick guide on how to prepare a PSD file to send it into production
- Five dozen lessons on creating mega-creative header designs using Photoshop
- A collection of different implementations of the main menu of the site
- Invigorating posters of Red Bull
- Great examples of using background textures in web design
- "Orange sun, orange sky, orange sand, orange websites, orange letters – orange design!
- English-language mini-dictionary of typographic terms
- Business cards that would definitely pass Green Peace quality control and whose design promotes support for the environment!
- Business card design with "proletarian" coloring
A selection of free designer cookies
- Prekesh Chavda decided to share his cute social services icons
- First aid kit with five packs of medical icons
- climacons – pictographic icons thematically related to the description of weather conditions
- Seven grunge textures in JPG format
- Spring-summer airy and light fonts selected by Jacob Gube
- Desaturated watercolor stains collected in a small zip archive
- Textures of smudged paper
- Four dozen web design fonts from Google Fonts
- Create an experimental website template that emulates a magazine layout
- Nostalgic for the very first version of GTA? Here is the WebGL version of the game
- SNg domains : the life of neighbors in the Union
- Counted 5, 000 most frequently used words, suffixes, and prefixes in domain names
- Infographics : HTML5 and Game Development
- Incredible but true – Facebook is more expensive than two Serbs
- How Google’s unmanned car works
- Transformer robot from Japan So far, though, a miniature one.
- Sketch e58 – 100 seconds about Email
- Augmented reality sandbox from UCLA
- How Google destroyed Inktomi: the Internet giant’s success story
- Grocery brand Glorious has launched an interactive map of the world for foodies
- Mobile companies decide to try their hand at creating apps – Spain’s Telefonica Presents To Me – a competitor to Skype for iPhone
- Disney surprises with its game-changing development of touchscreen technology – now you can learn a lot of useful information from the girth of the door handle!
- A joke that web developers will especially appreciate is HTML9 Responsive Boilerstrap JS
- Even Durov couldn’t find pirated audio on Vkontakte
- Jon Stewart from The Daily Show talks about Google Glasses and Instagram