A lot of people are looking in the direction of an Android OS phone.
And, among the available options, it is the HTC Hero that is a cherished dream for many.
Unfortunately Google for some reason does not like Ukrainian citizens and does not allow official sale of Android Market phones in Ukraine – even with its free version…
And besides on the gray market there are many phones from other countries, which have no Russian or no market as well.
But, the beauty of Android OS is its openness…So, I’ll try to tell you how you can flash the phone with full Android Market, Russification and possibility to buy paid programs.
This manual is especially urgent for official Ukrainian HTC Hero, but will be useful for any Hero owners who want to change the firmware of their phone or to get access to additional functions.
- The update will reset all settings and personal data on your phone so sync your contacts with gmail!
- Everything you do, you do at your own risk and no one will bear any responsibility if you do something wrong and your Hero will turn into a brick (the probability is minimal, but who knows what kind of crooked hands
The whole process of unlocking and reflashing your phone can be divided into 2 main steps :
1.Flashing of the modified Recovery- a special menu for repairing and reflashing the phones which allows to flash third party firmware (not from HTC)
2.Directly flashing third party flash files.
1. Flashing the modified Recovery
First, you need to check the firmware version on your phone and it’s from this that process of "hacking" depends how time-consuming it will be. After 411.5 firmware version some holes were removed in Hero and phone’s unlocking became much more difficult. To check the version enter Phone Settings- About phone and check the firmware version:
- If you have 411.5 or earlier firmware – congratulations. Unlocking your phone is practically effortless – for you Variant 1 :
- If you have newer firmware, but your phone is Russian official (PCT sticker) – for you Variant №2
- If you have an official Ukrainian phone, or a phone from more distant countries, and they have new firmware – you are out of luck, you are waiting for the most difficult Variant №3
Option 1 (the easiest) Fits phones with old firmware.
Install third party recovery – It allows you to install updates without digital signature. Here we go :
You must have Internet connection on your phone, preferably Wi-Fi, because you have to download about 5 megabytes.
- Go to the phone settings and in the "Applications" menu check the box next to "Unknown sources". We answer the warning in the affirmative.
- Open the browser and in the address bar enter r.androidfan.ru/flashrec.apk (~83 Kb). Then press Enter, download the application and install it. You can install flashrec without Internet, then you need to upload flashrec.apk to the root of SD-card. Then open the browser and enter the following perverted address :
- Run Recovery Flasher, it should be first in the list of applications.
In the input field, there should be a link to r.androidfan.ru/recovery-hero.img (~3.5 MB) Click on "Download Recovery Image" and wait for the download. If you do not have wi-fi at hand and do not want to waste precious traffic, you can put recovery-hero.img to flash drive and in FlashRec type /sdcard/recovery-hero.img in the address bar
Make a backup of the old Recovery on the memory card by pressing "Create Recovery backup".
Press "Flash recovery", if everything is successful – you should see "Flash completed" message. Congratulations – you got your pass to the world of third-party flashing
Option 2 (more complicated)
You are out of luck and your firmware version is higher than 411.5 – you’ll have to go through a "humiliating" procedure of downgrading your firmware to open the "closed holes". You’ll need official HTC Hero firmware version
- Download it from here : files.androidfan.ru/flash/hero/RU_Hero_HTC_RUS_2.73.411.5.rom.zip
- Rename it to heroimg.zip and put it in the root of the sd card
- Start the bootloader (power+backspase). When bootloader menu appears, press volume down, then the firmware check will start, then press home to flash
And then – watch and do Option #1
Option #3 (the most complicated)
If you have a non-Ukrainian (Chinese, Vietnamese, etc.) phone or option 2 gave out Wrong CID, then you will be saved only by creating GoldCard which will allow you to flash your phone with official firmware from any other regions.
You will need :
- Computer with SD card reader + Sd-MicroSd adapter
- Program HxD Hex Editor
- MicroSD cards with capacities from 128 MB to 2GB (the original card is not always suitable for the operation) SanDisk flash drives often do not work with this method, my method worked only with transend microSD 2gb
Step 1. Find out the unique serial number of the card. To do this, install terminal emulator (http://r.androidfan.ru/terminal.apk) on the phone, launch it and type the following commands:
get a response like : device mmc1:XXXX (XXXX is a unique number)
after that give the command :
My code number is 1b534d3030303010b1de9d11008860
Update: As you have been correctly advised, reverse the code: to do this, download from here QMAT.Attention-demo version works only 10 minutes.Choose Cryptoanalysis Tools then Crypto Toolbox.There is a text field at the bottom of the form.Enter there your sid, press Reverse String.In the received number replace first two symbols with 00-for example 12345678910 becomes 00345678910
Step 2: Go here revskills.de/pages/goldcard.html and enter your email and the received number, you will receive an email with a file (goldcard.img), which should be written at the beginning of the flash drive.
Step 3 With the card reader and the adapter insert the card into the computer, completely format the flash drive in fat32
Copy the file on it from here : files.androidfan.ru/flash/hero/RUU_Hero_HTC_RUS_2.73.411.5.rom.zip , having previously renamed it to heroimg.zip
Step #4. Start HxD Hex Editor. In it, in the top bar, select Extra > Open Disk. Under Physical disk, select Removable Disk, uncheck "Open as Readonly", and click OK.
Go to Extra – Open Disk Image, and choose the goldcard.img we received in the mail (when opening it, choose "Sector Size" 512 (Hard disks/Floppy disks), and click OK.
From file goldcard.img copy all items from 00000000 to 00000170 and paste into Removable Disk (your stick), then press save button and voila – your Goldcard is ready!
And then watch and do Variant №2 , then – Option #1
As a result of all these simple transformations we get
cyclopentaneperhydrofinanthrene a phone ready for any adventure. I.e. to any third-party firmware.
And now step two, which is much easier than step one
2. Directly reflashing the phone
There are a lot of firmware versions for the HTC Hero, the most you can find is here
Here’s a small selection with commentary lelvisl
- Hero_HTC_RUS_2.73.411.17 Rooted The latest russian firmware for the hero with root privileges
- Collection of official unrouted firmware
- MoDaCo mod. – Alternative firmware from comrade modaco, with rootrights and modified kernel.
- HERO 2.1 – HERO 2.1 android (Eclair) based beta firmware builds, rooted
To reflash any of them you will need to download the firmware file, rename it to update.zip, put it in the root of the sd-card.
After that perform the recovery procedure (press the Home button when you turn the phone on)
– Perform factory reset – wipe (delete old firmware)
– Apply update – flash the phone with the modified firmware
If you managed to do all of the above – I congratulate you on successfully hacking your phone!
And lastly, if you would like to officially buy paid apps from Android Market (this is not yet available for the CIS countries)- download and install the program Market Enabler
It will allow you to spoof the cellular network code, presenting you as a user of mobile networks of the "first world" according to Google – the ones where you are allowed to buy programs.
PS: In preparation of the material the materials of forum were used AndroidFan , and especially by users of hobbit19 , tamerlan311 , lelvisl.